Saturday, January 10, 2009

Schrödinger's Lottery

Every week I buy three Powerball Lottery tickets, the numbers based on the Shomes' birthdays. I regularly miss ALL the numbers and never match even one, much less the Powerball number. But. . .I'm sort of stuck doing it as I figure the one time I don't play these numbers they'll come up and some less-deserving soul will get my money.

My father would say about his weekly purchase of a lottery ticket, "For a buck you can dream," and I understand what he meant. As I await tonight's drawing I'm in that quantum state of being both a winner and a loser.

Part of me figures that if I win, Shermlock Jr. and I will turn into something of the characters played by Peter Sellers and Ringo Star in The Magic Christian:



I've always liked Thunderclap Newman's "Something In The Air!" and somehow I find this clip resonates with the current "Bail Us Out!" movement.

Another gem from this film (Extra credit if you immediately identify the person singing to Roman Polanski):



And one of the better interpretations of Hamlet: