Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday Night Music

Something from the Eels Electro-Shock Blues:



It's not a 'happy' CD at all; the compositions being inspired by Mark Everett's sister's suicide and his mother's terminal cancer. At one point I was listening to this CD a lot. The song "Last Stop: This Town" stuck in my head and one night I had a very odd dream that I suspect was inspired by it:

I found myself driving into a small town that was vaguely familiar. I wondered why I was alone and where Mrs. Shomes and Shermlock Jr. were. I seemed drawn to make a stop at the local library where I was greeted by a number of the employees as if they had known me for a long time.

"I didn't expect to see you back here after the funeral." said one woman. I played along, not wanting to appear totally clueless. After some conversation that included the observation, "We still miss the brownies that she baked." I filled enough blanks to come to the conclusion that I had a wife who had made a deep and abiding impression on all in the town but had passed away a few years before and in deep mourning, I had left the town never to come back. The rest of the dream was me trying to get a notion of who this woman was that I had married and then lost while at the same time trying not to let those around me know that I had no memory of my wife, the people, or the town.

Sometime, if I ever get the muse, I'd like to write something based on that dream. Something of a fantasy that at the core has the amnesiatic search I found myself in.

No comments: