Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4th Holidays of the Past

Though new to blogging, I get the sense that a 4th of July post is necessary. I see that many folks take the patriotic route following the holiday's theme. For me, the 4th of July reminds me of holidays with my brother and parents when I was growing up in Alma, Michigan. My maternal grandfather had a cabin near to Higgins Lake, about an hour north but a drive that seemed like forever for a small child.

My memories of our times there are vibrant little flashes of images, smells, and tastes. Waking to the smell of bacon being cooked by my mother. Picking and eating wild blueberries. (I still love blueberry pie!) Walking to the nearby bakery and buying fresh donuts. My father would buy salt rising bread and toast it when we got back generating what at the time I thought to be one of the more stinkiest smells. I remember going out in Grandad's boat with my father and brother to fish for perch. A day trip up to Hartwick Pines State Park. I wonder if that box of photos I inherited from Dad and Mom have any picture of those holidays. . .

No comments: