Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Let's laff at the yokels!

A number of bloggers have pointed to Ben Smith's Blog in which he quotes a little speech Obama gave in my home state of Michigan:
Obama told the crowd that McCain and Palin spent most of the convention talking about their biographies.

Palin's bio is "compelling," Obama said.

The crowd booed. "No, it's an interesting story." More boos. "No, no, it is. I mean that sincerely. Mother, governor, moose shooter."

The crowd broke out in laughter. "That's cool. That's cool. That's cool stuff," Obama said.
I get this same sort of stuff at work when I speak of taking a few days off in November for deer season. "Oh, you're going to shoot Bambi!" they say, thinking themselves quite funny. But in my mind what Obama said, as well as what my hilarious colleagues say is on par with someone joking with Obama, "Hey Barry! Heading out to have some watermelon?" and having all the 'good ol' boys' yuck it up at his expense.

No comments: