Thursday, January 17, 2013

Today's Schadenfreude

As I've indicated here in my blog, I'm adjunct faculty (among other things) at IUPUI. Yesterday the following was asked on the adjunct faculty mailing list:

Heard a rumor that the University will be limiting part-time faculty to a max of six credit hours per term, so they will not have to offer healthcare benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Has anyone else heard whether this is true or not?
While one of the directors of a program that hires a large number of adjunct faculty looks into the veracity of this, I note that such cuts have been reported in The Chronicle of Higher Education, the Huffington Post and other news sources. Considering the political persuasion of almost all my faculty colleagues and how most of them likely voted in the last two presidential elections, all I have to say is:

1 comment:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

And on top of that, you're probably underpaid. At least I remember that part-time faculty were when I was working there.